Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Poetry Flashback

I had this phase, where I attempted poetry. You could say I was a rebellious teenager – in a way I guess I still am pretty rebellious. At a point I used to post my “poems” but one day I deleted everything and reverted back to keeping things personal.

It is funny, going back and re-reading everything I had written before. Most of what I found I laughed at. I laughed at the way I was feeling, and how I viewed the world as something else completely. But then there are some other pieces that still manage to reflect the present.

You ever have someone tell you should take your own advice, or you should listen to yourself more? I find it almost haunting how your past self could write something that could speak wonders to your present self.

It’s interesting really, the way our emotions work. How you can go through so many different experiences, and feel different volumes of pain, happiness, and everything in between. And yet, everything generally falls under the same general categories. Or they manage to follow a theme depending on your thought process

So these generally follow the same theme, and like my previous post with my story attempt, I decided it is better to stop keeping things to myself.

Here goes nothing… a few “poems”

------

Stand Tall from Falling

The first hit doesn’t come empty handed

It brings a label to mark on you

Doesn’t really matter where you choose to turn

You’re mark will glow, spreading in light speed



A wall of backs, is all you’ll see

Belonging to – who claimed to stand by you

Doesn’t really matter where you choose to turn

Led by the light; shown from by your labeled mark



Who said “we all make mistakes” isn’t accepting

[And] Who said “what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger” holds a shotgun

[And] Who said “forgive” will always remember

I admit to falling down… trying to stand in the midst of disapproval



How dare you smile at me with the same lips; that helped start all the stories

I hope you enjoyed the time you had, it’s over now

It’s my time to shine



You’ll all come to regret—

—Turning around and leaving me helpless

A sunrise closer, to standing tall; you’ll all be lost [under my shadow]

It’ll be too late; your hand is not wanted



Who said “we all make mistakes” isn’t accepting

[And] Who said “what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger” holds a shotgun

[And] Who said “forgive” will always remember

I admit to falling down… trying to stand in the midst of disapproval



I’m standing tall and I assure you
I love who I am and you can’t stop me…

------

With Open Arms

I have evolved passed mirrors
Broken into a million pieces no longer relates to me
I am not something you can put back together
Any pieces of me you might find, do not belong in the same puzzle

I am like unraveled thread
At one point, I was something beautiful –
But a thread came loose…
And someone pulled, and pulled… and pulled

Mesmerized by the illusions of my surroundings
All so beautiful, harmless, normal, and worth the fall
Locked in a trance, oblivious to my downfall
I welcomed this with open arms, and allowed it to happen

This downward spiral is like any sunset
Bitter sweet, hauntingly beautiful…
Followed by another sunrise
I will rise again

My mistakes tell me who I am not
My struggles reflect who I am
My goals remind me of whom I want to be
Your words do not define me




No comments:

Post a Comment